Over the last 2 years we have come into contact with numerous people who wanted to start a blog and most never did. Or they did, and got off on the wrong foot, abandoned the blog, or they had unrealistic expectations about what the blog might deliver in the short-term from an SEO perspective and were frustrated.
We have been doing this for over 2 years now and have launched about 25 blogs. We have made many mistakes along the way and therefore, also have learned a lot. And continue to learn every day as this business changes. Eventually, all of our blogs have ended up on Page One of Google for organic, primary and numerous secondary key word searches…
Here are some of the most common blog mistakes we’ve seen –
1. Never actually starting one! I have 3 friends and 5 clients that have been talking about launching blog for a year now! Do they realize, if they had in fact launched their blog one year ago, where they would be today??? Just DO IT already!
2. Using Subdomains. We are not a big fan of hosting your site somewhere that has to use a subdomain. (ie typepad, blogspot). If it’s personal, that’s fine. But for anything business related, where you hope to get search engine lift, we do not recommend it. – Buy a domain and use it. In fact, buy a few domains. If you don’t buy it and you don’t own it , it’s not yours. So www.worldsbestflorist.typepad.com really belongs to typepad. Plus, you deprive yourself of potential search engine lift by hosting your site with subdomains.
3. Design. DO NOT get caught up on design. Blogs are about words, not design. Blogs are all about the content. And that content is indexed by search engines. You can be one page one with the the most awful looking blog out there! Search engines do not care about flash and design. Blogs are about simplicity. That’s why search engines like blogs more than websites.
4. Expecting too much too soon. The first 90 days are about building “the temple.” Most directories won’t even let you list with them until you are 90 days old or have more than 36 posts. Don’t even try to get traffic or build traffic the first few months. It’s all about planting the seeds, building the temple, and then traffic will come!
5. Making Money. Every month I have clients that want to start a blog to make “some extra passive revenue.” MOST blogs do not make a dime! At least the first year or two. Once you get a page rank of 5 or 6, in about 18 months to 24 months, then maybe, you can start to monetize your blog. Sure you can put Google AdSense on your blog. And make about 25 cents per month. If you are lucky! The focus should be on building the blog. Build a following. Positioning yourself as the expert in your area of expertise. If you do it right, you will come up in searches and be found by new readers and potential new customers!
Derrick Sorles and Michael Snell – We Help “Pull” New Business To You!
Your Business MD’s– Business Blog Consultants -Web 2.0 Consultant and Strategists
Business Blog Consultants and Web 2.0 StrategistsWe are your Online Internet Marketing Business MD's, Michael Snell and Derrick Sorles! Welcome to our site! We prescribe Internet solutions that will "pull" new business and opportunities to you.
Our emphasis is on helping clients accelerate Web traffic and Internet visibility using a combination of Web 2.0 strategies, internet marketing, new media ~ social networking and cutting-edge blogging best practices to exponentially grow their "Web Presence.". We provide business blog consulting and comprehensive Web 2.0 strategies for new online business opportunities. We conceptualize marketing and social media strategies for the continuous development of our clients.
Is your website a glorified business card? Are you even being "found" by search engines? We specialize in strategic planning and implementation around leveraging the endless opportunities to take your business to the next level via Web 2.0.
Increase exposure for you and your company while establishing your organization as the "experts" in your industry. Blogs and most Web 2.0 tools are the most misunderstood and under-utilized marketing resources out there.
Be in the know! The cheese is being moved ALL THE TIME! We are focused at present on business development strategies, complete Internet marketing and Web 2.0 strategies for clients utilizing new technologies (blogs, podcast, video podcast) and other social media and new media networks to drive their web traffic, facilitate online communities and conversations and build a "business celebrity" web presence.
DON'T GET TAKEN! We are experts and have the data to prove it. We have many satisfied clients that will tell you our systems WORK!
We coach clients on understanding the impact of these new technologies to their business and the importance of first mover advantage and SEO ~ organic keyword search discovery over their competitors. Our goal is to get clients to come up on top in an organic search listing for their respective search terms like "BEST FLORIST CHICAGO" or "CHICAGO FINANCIAL EXPERTS" or "HEALTH AND WELLNESS EXPERT."
We have helped many clients get on Google Page 1 organically, and have demonstrated success stories and case studies available for review. Since 2005, we have logged over 20,000 hours of Internet work and research. Our sites are in the top 1% of all blog sites worldwide. On the Web, it doesn't only matter how good you are at what you do-its how many people know about it and can find you through search.
Let us put our expertise to work for you! We can be your mentor. We have BEEN THERE and DONE THAT. We can guide you because we know the terrain, the pitfalls and the challenges. We know what to do - and more importantly, what NOT to do! We can save you valuable time and teach you what we have already learned and figured out.
We utilize this "blog" as a marketing tool and do not post to it regularly. It serves as our marketing brochure. Please visit the blogroll links below to see our most active sites!
Contact us at (773)878-5323
Visit Our Business Blogging and Web 2.0 Strategies BlogWe utilize this "blog" as a marketing tool and do not post to it daily or weekly - only as we find articles that pertain to the benefits of the services we offer.
It serves as a "website" and as our "marketing brochure".
Our main blog is
Business Blogging Tips
Clients/Blogs We Are Working With…
Blogs We Read & Recommend
GoDaddy The #1 Place For Domains and Hosting
Mercy For Animals
Copyright 2007-2014This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial-No Derivative Works 3.0 License.
Blog Development Consulting Provided by Michael Snell and Derrick Sorles ~ YourBusinessMD's